Wigan Corporation No 35

Leyland Titan PD2A/27
Massey Bros H37/27F body
Leyland O.600 9.8l 125bhp diesel engine

Leyland 4 speed manual gearbox
Delivered October 1962
Wigan Corporation No 35
GMPTE No 3244
Then to Weardale Motor Services
Re registered to PSJ 480

Current status: under restoration

Delivered in October 1962, No 35 is a Leyland PD2A/27 with Massey bodywork. She carries the later style of “St Helens front,” a reference to the radiator design. This is in fibreglass and was supplied by Leyland to St Helens Corporation at the Corporation’s request for an improved front end, hence the name. No 35 is one of eight front entrance double deckers on the Leyland PD2A/27 chassis delivered in 1962, which were registered JJP502 – JJP509. The body orders for this batch were split equally between Massey and Northern Counties as was the standard practice. No 35 was the first to be delivered of the Massey batch with the remaining buses following in November 1962. Two of the Northern Counties half of the order were delivered in October ’62 with the others following in November.

In service
The bus is 27 foot long, compared to the larger 30 foot vehicles Wigan had been ordering. This requirement for smaller buses was in response to falling passenger numbers which was a problem for the whole of the bus industry in the 1960s. The previous longer buses could seat around 70, depending on exact type, but the 1962 orders seated only 64 with a reduced number of standing passengers also. Wigan’s passenger peak had occurred in the early 1950s and the shorter buses were to be used on the less busy town routes. Despite the introduction of the rear engined Atlantean to the market in 1958 Wigan would remain faithful to half cab Leyland deckers for as long as they were available, with the last being delivered in 1968.

GMT era
In April 1974 Wigan became part of Greater Manchester and the fleet was absorbed into Greater Manchester Transport. Wigan 35 became 3244 in the Manchester numbering scheme.

Work has begun on 35’s restoration (summer 2014). At the moment progress is slow but steady and a restoration plan is in place. Updates will be placed on the news pages.